Tool Cabinet

I had an idea in my head, and rough sizing, and went to the shop and bought the wood. I then measured out the wood, and my available space, and sized up the cabinet to fit.

As you will see from the pics below the wood is manufactured from smaller pieces strongly glued together, it is available in planks or in large sheets. I bought the planks for this project. The wood is manufactured in Thailand by a company called Boonwood (they have a good Facebook page).

  • I didn’t worry about framework because the wood is thick and solid, and quite hard. All screws were pre-drilled.

2015-11-07 10.01.05

2015-11-07 10.00.59

  • I used six of these plastic feet underneath to lift it off the concrete floor.

2015-11-07 10.39.36

  • The structure was squared and then two sheets of recovered 3-ply (Thai Teak based) were nailed onto the back of the cabinet. This plywood is painted white on one side, it had formerly been used a wall sheeting.

2015-11-07 11.00.46

  • I cut the planks along their joins to make the door frames, and the crossbars installed to square up the top. It was tricky doing the last cut with just a circular saw and a clamp! I cut a short distance, and then moved the clamp behind me and continued cutting, and did a similar thing when I got to the other end.

2015-11-07 12.06.20

2015-11-07 11.34.21

2015-11-07 11.53.18

  • The doors were made hollow so that they can serve as additional storage / hanging space and so forth. The hinges of course were recessed into the wood both of the doors and the cabinet. Despite the lack of a large tri-square (I measured the diagonals with a measuring tape instead) I successfully got everything squared up!

2015-11-07 14.12.09

2015-11-07 15.10.12

  • A strip of plywood was cut to cover the small gap between the doors. The latch needed small pieces of wood cut and located inside the doors so that it could be screwed in securely.

2015-11-07 15.48.51

  • The ‘roof’ was made out of the same plywood and framed with scrap wood.

2015-11-07 16.54.30

  • At this point the cabinet was painted.

2015-11-07 17.35.19

2015-11-07 17.35.32

  • Some more strips of plywood were cut and overplayed onto the doors to give it them the barn door look.

2015-11-14 12.15.31

2015-11-14 12.54.31

  • I then painted the strips with green paint left over from painting out kitchen extension.

2015-11-14 13.15.39

2015-11-14 18.46.14

  • I couldn’t resist adding the traditional ‘crossed-swords’ emblem to the top of the cabinet! A small amount of tie-wire and some Gorilla Glue was used for this, and a couple of old tools!

2015-11-14 18.46.27

  • These last half-dozen photos show how I originally fitted out the interior, but as with all tool sheds, racks, hooks, and so forth changed from time to time to meed updated needs.

2015-11-14 18.47.19

2015-11-14 18.47.49

2015-11-14 18.47.38

2015-11-14 18.47.25

  • Some more decoration was added to make the cabinet, and my home, a little more nostalgic. The hubcap is of a mid-late fifties Holden, the license plate is off my dads agricultural bike when we lived on a dairy farm more than 30 years ago, and then there’s the Ferguson Tractor sign. For that I did some Photoshopping, I found the logo, and a metal sign jpg, put the two together, making the logo a little opaque so that the rusty nature of the sign would show through a little, then printed it and glue it directly to the door. When I was young, and on the dairy farm, I learned to drive on one of these tractors! I’ve since added a cast-iron manufacture’s plate form a NSWGR railway wagon, and a classic Route 66 sign.



I wanted this cabinet to be as much decorative as functional, and it is doing both brilliantly.

Also featured at:


No Comments

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial