Double Spring Pole Lathe [Part 4]

A few weeks ago I found time to do some more work on my lathe, and today I’ve found time to finally post some photos! I actually tested the lathe after doing the work I’ll show below by using a pair of hooked bungee straps, the kind you use for holding down loads in your trailer. I hooked these straps from the middle of the frame up to the outer ender of the top rocker bar, and it worked quite well like that, but I found that the spindle diameter was too large and it rotated too slowly, so I’ve dumped that and will replace it next time with something of much smaller diameter.


Last time I worked on the lathe I attached to verticle support using a hinge. This time I cut out a section of it as shown, and used that and a second piece of wood cut to the same size to form a butterfly catch which locks the verticle support solidly in the verticle position when needed.


The butterfly catch securely locks the verticle support.


This is the top rocker arm cut to shape a ready to install. This arm differs from the design made popular by Roy Underhill in that I’ve moved the hinge hole well done from the horizontal centre of the bar so that the whole bar can fold fairly flat against the verticle bar (in the lowered position) when not in use, which makes the whole thing more compact for storage.


The cutout in the top of the verticle support drilled ready for the horizontal rocker bar. You will notice that I tried installed wood dowell as the hinge pin, which failed miserably. You will laugh when you find out what I ended up using!


Here is the verticle bar again locked in it’s upright position, with the rocker bar hanging down pretty much as planned. Can you guess what I used as a hinge pin? I recycled an old mortar drill bit! It works perfectly!


Happy with the top mechanism I proceeded to work on the headstock. Again, unlike the Roy Underhill design which wraps the rope around the wood you are turning I wanted a separated spindle to wrap the wrope around. To achieve that I insterted an extra verticle piece of wood, which is drilled and pinned using dowells, to make this happen.


I found a short log dumped near our home and though it would make a good spindle, I found out later that this would be a bad choice.


I used the offcut from the rocker arm to make the foot peddle, which was solidly hinged to the foot of the lathe.


The foot peddle ready to have a hole drilled for the rope.


These last two photos show the spindle in place. Firstly, the diameter was too big which meant that the whole thing rotated to slowly, and secondly, I didn’t get my align quite right, so the rod that sticks through the hole constant wobbled. I’ve dumped it, and I now have to come up with a far better design. That’s for next time.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *