Step 10: I need a strong cross-member across the back of the table to support the hutch. I intend to overhang the hutch in-between the legs at the back with a piece of wood leftover from the table top, and when assembled it will be screwed into that cross-member. I positioned the back legs exactly where I needed them and marked around them. I then cut two small blocks which I glued and screwed into both the back legs.
I then glued and screwed the cross-member to the back legs.
Step 11: The front cross-member is smaller in cross-section. I cut two small blocks which I glued and screwed to each end, and then I glued the ends of the front cross-member to the front legs, clamping them until the glue dried. I did not use any screws to fasten to the legs, there was no need too, as the table top would fasten the whole thing together.
Step 12: The bottom shelf came first. This enabled me to continue working on the table while the glue for the front cross-member in step 11was drying. To make the shelves I used the planks off the top of the pallet I dismantled at the beginning of the project, and very happily, they were just the right width to be able to use four pieces for the bottom shelf, with a little bit of an inset at the front, which I wanted anyway. These were glued and screwed, the heads of the screws being countersunk nearly half the depth of the wood. These will be filled later.
Step 13: The top is made in much the same way, but with a 2cm overhang front and sides. I didn’t screw these down though. I didn’t photograph this but if you are familiar with the method of hidden-nailing tongue-and-groove floorboards shown in the image on the right then you will be familiar with what I did. I haven’t used tongue-and-groove joinery, I simply covered the flat edges of the boards with glue, and about half way down I hammered a nail into each end at an angle. I used nails that have fairly large thin flat heads on them, leaving about half of the head stick out so that when I butted the next board against it the nail head served as a tiny tongue to grab onto the next board. This might not be the best way of doing things, but it worked. At the back you will notice two short pieces joined end-to-end. They don’t look so great right now, but most of them will be cut away for the overhang at the bottom of the hutch, and whatever is left of them will be largely hidden out of sight.
Test Fit: I brought the table inside to see how it looks, and we are both quite happy with it. It turns out our floor is not level, so will probably have to place a small piece of plywood under the front left leg to level it out, it’s either that or try and trim the other legs down until it is right. I think the piece of plywood is the easier option!
Next: I need to chamfer the table top, and start working on the hutch.